Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Back Home?


I am back in Raista and it seems I just left!  Well, I was just here six weeks ago.  It did feel kind of like coming home….or at least to a very familiar place
We left LaCeiba on Sunday morning and drove to Cusuna.  Cusuna is a Garifuna village and being there is like stepping into a National Geographic article.  We met with the local pastor and some of the community agents.  We broke into groups and discussion ensued for lessons learned on water quality, HIV, and communication techniques.
I was blessed to make a connection with Mary and Kandy and several children.  We communicated as best we could through sign language and laughter.  My tablet was an item of huge interest in taking pictures and videos.  We headed for the local pulperia (mini converience store) for a soda. 
It was an  amazing experience as I was with about a dozen Garifuna folks, walking through their village to the store, buying sodas.  Across a short distance, several village members sat in hammocks and chairs enjoying the evening and talk.  Of course I couldn’t understand their conversations, but the rapport and experience was thrilling.  A downpour ensued and we all huddled together under the metal awning in front of the store.  It was one of those rare moments in my life that I seek, to be with another culture, making friends, making memories.  The next day, before we departed, Kandy came to our compound and brought me a beautiful orange crab shell and another beautiful sea shell.  I was speechless and wished that I had something I could give her.
We drove for about three hours to Palacios where the road ends.  Here we boarded the long canoes for the two hour ride to Raista.  The river journey is one of my favorite parts of my visits to Honduras.
Seeing Raista made me feel like I was coming home in a way.  We unloaded the canoes, settled into our rooms and rested.  Later, some of us walked the short distance to the ocean and enjoyed the surf.  It’s incredible to see the miles of beach with no one on it!!  Some found it a little disconcerting that the bottom is literally covered with live sand dollars.  I mean, there are thousands, perhaps millions of them.
I think the three and a half days we have been in Honduras was beginning to take its toll on us physically as naps seemed to be in order for several of us.
A good portion of the evening involved final preparation of the lessons plans for the workshop to begin today, Tuesday.
This morning one of our Honduran team members shared a powerful devotion to begin our day.  It is amazing to stand with Honduran believers, not being able to understand a lot of what is being said, but definitely sensing the power of God and the presence of the Holy Spirit.  Let me take a moment here to thank all those who are praying for us on this trip!!!

We are now at the first session of the seminar.  We have broken into three groups and learning is underway.  It is truly a blessing to be here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment