Monday, June 27, 2016

Winging It

Monday, June 27, 2016
Winging It
                I am on my way home after another ten days in Honduras.  I have new friends whom two weeks ago I had never met and we have connected well.  I have been to remote parts of Honduras in the LaMoskitia area of the Gracias a Dios Department.  I have engaged with people of a culture and a world far different from the one I live in.  I have watched my teammates interact with these people with a fervor borne of a true and sincere desire to have a positive impact upon their lives.  I have watched other Hondurans interact with people of their country in a desire to improve their lives by bringing them the gift of clean water.  Personally I have engaged with people of a culture far different from what I know and I find a strong desire to return at a date yet to be determined.
                I have experienced and admired the sincerity of my Honduran teammates in their devotion to the God we both serve and I find it inspiring.  Their faith is strong and solemn and joyful. 
                I have experienced dreams and opportunities which challenge me to move on with my life.  I think I am still reeling from Muggy’s leaving some 16 months ago.  Tomorrow would have been our 41st wedding anniversary, but I will not celebrate as she’s not physically with me, but I will remember.  At some level within me I am letting go and moving on.
                I have talked with sages in my life during this trip about the future.  I have met a man who has impacted my life more in a short period of time than anyone I have ever met.  I look at him at times and listen to him always and I think I am seeing the personification of Jesus.  He is warm and genuine and loving.  He encourages, he helps, he mentors, he teaches both in words and deeds.
I am encouraged to hear that my new friends think I can lead a team to Honduras sometime in the future; I think I will.  I have talked with them of more efforts at reaching out to the people of Honduras to bring them a better quality of life.  We spoke of dependency mentality.  The Hondurans sometimes expect us to support them, to continue to supply them with the things they need.  We debate whether this is good.  When I think of the extravagance of my world compared to theirs I believe that this is what I am called to do and I will be obedient to what God is asking me to do.
Ours was a very ecumenical group.  We encouraged the diversity and we learned from each other; it was an amazing opportunity. The proverbial bottom line for all of us was to help our fellow men and women and I sincerely believe we did!
I am humbled once again by the opportunities I am given to participate in these adventures.  I thank God for the new friends I have, both from my team and in Honduras.  I will be back!



No comments:

Post a Comment