Saturday, April 23, 2016

Raista- Day One

Friday,  April 22, 2016 - Raista, Honduras 

We are at Raista after a very long and challenging travel day.  We traveled east across the northern coast of Honduras. As we traveled, the roads became progressively worse.  We finally ran out of pavement and then the driving became more challenging and very, very thrilling.  Eventually we ended up driving in mostly sand near the beach until we reached Cereboya.  I can honestly say, the driving I did today is the most fun driving I've ever had in my life!  It was challenging, but I did have a big grin on my face most of the way.
I had the great pleasure of having Bruce riding shotgun in my truck.  He's the organizer of this team and trip and he knows a tremendous amount about Honduras.  He shares, I listen, I ask questions and he answers.  
Our stops during the day included one for meat for our trip.  We are such a large group that we must carry our own food as these villages could never feed a group as big as ours.  
We eventually reached the eastern coast and the part of Honduras where the Garifuna live.  These people are descendants of slaves from Africa who live pretty much separately and have their own language.
We finally arrived at the village of Saba. This was to be our jumping off point for the next leg of the trip.  The children of the village came alive as we drove in, followed by seemingly the rest of the village to assist us with transferring our gear to 35 foot canoes.
After loading the canoes, we all boarded the canoes and set out on the river for nothing short of a glorious and serene boat ride up the river to Raista.
Raista is a village where we are spending a couple nights.  This hotel exists because of Eco-tourism.  Apparently, the burning and logging of mahogany in the biosphere is hampering the Eco-tourism development.  
The village is located on a strip of land about three city blocks wide with the lake on the west and the ocean on the east.  It is a gorgeous setting.  I took a walk this morning to the ocean, meandering through a wonderland of odd vegetation, chickens walking about, the raucous sound of the many birds and even a small herd of horses who suggested I mind my own business.
I stood on the shore and saw mile upon mile of vacant beach with the comforting sound of the surf rolling in and I was the only one there.  I enjoyed a few moments of quiet time with the Lord.  It may sound odd, but I felt as though I was experiencing a garden of Eden moment.
I am blessed beyond measure to be experiencing this adventure.  I am with a group of people who are all about helping others and it is a joy and honor to be a part.
Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment